276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In real life, of course, Richard III was unheard to have muttered “my kingdom for a horse” when felled in battle, and deeds just as villainous as those which Shakespeare saddled the scoliosis-afflicted king with could easily be ascribed to just about every other king. Of course, Richard III’s attempt to wed his brother���s daughter isn’t something that will be looked upon positively in the history books – or even in those times apparently, as his, ahem, desires were thwarted. Throw in the possible murder of the aforementioned prepubescent boys and it's clear we're not exactly talking about Mr. Rogers here. Over four weeks in March 2019, Jones presented London: 2,000 years of history alongside Lipscomb and Bell. [21] Journalist [ edit ] Discover the real history behind The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses, thePBS Great Performance series of Shakespeare’s plays, starring Judi Dench, Benedict Cumberbatch, Sofie Okenedo and Hugh Bonneville.

Dogged original research and superb narrative skills come together in this gripping account of pitiless evil.stars for The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones. Jones, Dan (29 November 2012). "Christmas 2012: History books of the year". The Daily Telegraph. London. When you get to grips and kind of understand this history you definately see where Shakespeare right through to George Martin became absolutely fascinated and took inspiration for their works as its probaby the greatest fiction, non fiction story, you couldn't even imagine it, if even half of it wasn't the truth then whats left blows you away. In this follow up to his book, The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England, I felt the author, Dan Jones, has done an admirable job of explaining the whys and wherefores of the struggle that became known as the Wars of the Roses. Starting with the death of Henry V, Mr. Jones looks at how the English experience in France, the end of the 100 Years War, and the inability of Henry’s son, Henry VI, to be an effective ruler led to the conditions that gave rise to the civil war.

Dan Jones (14 October 2012). "A cavalier, with facts". The Sunday Times. Archived from the original on 28 July 2014. Jones carefully unravels the complex political maneuverings that resulted in the end of the mighty Plantagenets in favor of a minor noble of mixed Welsh, French, and English blood. Much time is spent on analyzing the motivations of Richard, duke of York. Far from the characterizations many have painted of him, Richard Plantagenet did not immediately set out to make himself king. Being a chronicler at those times probably kind of exciting (as long as you're not implicated in one plot or another). Kings in the middle ages basically had two duties: uphold justice and wage wars. Well, I would also add marry someone that could help you keep the throne. And produce an heir. Now, after the fall of Henry VI - Dan Jones seemed to hate him so much he practically blamed Henry for everything - at least four families could claim descent from Henry VI’s great-great grandfather, Edward III. I once read the Chinese classic The Three Kingdoms. That work covers a period of about a century during a time of great civil unrest in China. It was appalling how many men were beheaded by their enemies and allies alike. I realize after reading The Wars of the Roses that fifteenth century England was not much different. I understand that Lewis Carroll’s Alice stories in part parody English history. Now I can understand where the Red Queen’s “off with his head!” came from.I felt Mr. Jones did an excellent job of explaining just how Henry VI’s mental instability led to the generation long civil war. Even when he was all there, Henry’s inability to be a medieval monarch led to many in the nobility, including his cousin Richard, Duke of York, to contemplate replacing him, first as regent and later as King. After Richard’s death at Wakefield, his son Edward takes up the claim to eventually defeats Henry’s supporters to become Edward IV. Jones quotes Ecclesiastes 10:16 and applies it directly to England. Alas for England, Henry V died young in 1422, leaving behind a 9-month-old son. What is remarkable, actually, is that Henry had put in place a leadership team that would manage the country quite well while the young Henry VI was growing up. The problem is that Henry VI was no ruler, and by the time he was in his late twenties, the old leaders were largely gone and the next generation was vying for power with a king who did little about it. I’ve always been fascinated by the Wars of the Roses, it’s a complex and rewarding era to study and research but all too often accounts of this era have somehow disappointed. In The Hollow Crown, Dan Jones takes this complex era and its cast of fascinating characters and weaves a tale so gripping that even though you know what will happen next you are still completely hooked. Jones also describes Richard III as tall, even though he was only 5 foot 8—not short for the time, but certainly not remotely tall, at least in comparison to his brother Edward IV's 6 feet 4 inches and especially not when considered that Richard's scoliosis is believed to have taken several inches off his apparent height. In 2014, Jones' book The Plantagenets was adapted for television as a four-part series on Channel 5 entitled Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty: The Plantagenets. [14]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment