276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Verity: Collector's edition

£8.035£16.07Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The word I would use to describe this book is disturbing. I was seriously disturbed the whole time I read. It wasn’t too spooky for me, but it was thrilling and horrifying at times. The writing was out of this world and the story messed with my mind. I’m not sure if I loved it, hated it, liked the characters or hated them. It’s a story that’s not always likable, but dang it was good. It was enthralling and made me think. That ending messed with my mind so bad, I don’t even know how to feel. I've pulled up this review and tried to make the words come for a couple of days now, but every time I try to write the words all that comes to mind is WTF Colleen?! Obviously we were warned going in that this one would but much different than her other novels, but she didn't tell us that it would be so compulsive and I wouldn't be able to live my life while reading it. How dare she?? But seriously, this book was so delicious in a seriously twisted way, and I feel slightly guilty admitting that I loved Verity so much due to its dark and disturbing nature. The manuscript provides myriad complications. Lowen debates whether she should discuss it with Jeremy. She doesn't believe he is aware of its existence or content. He claimed he never read Verity's books, after all. Lowen learns that Verity was injured when her vehicle hit a tree, but there were no skidmarks on the pavement. She concludes Verity "either fell asleep or she did it on purpose." Does it matter to Lowen which scenario is accurate? What conclusion has Jeremy drawn about the cause of the accident? This book employs one of my favorite formats, a story within a story. I've loved pretty much every book I've come across that uses this format, and it works especially well here. The interspersing of the inner manuscript with the outer story allows us to find out what's going on at the same time that Lowen is figuring things out.

The characters in "Verity" are flawlessly crafted, with each one harboring secrets and hidden depths. Lowen is a relatable and complex protagonist, driven by her own demons and a desire to uncover the truth. Verity, on the other hand, is enigmatic and mysterious, leaving readers guessing about her true intentions until the very end. Their interactions are intense and filled with tension, adding an extra layer of suspense to the story. It's a clever book, and I don't simply mean because of its twists and turns. It's clever because of the fear and uncertainty the author creates. That all three authors create. The aptly-named Verity is a novel about fictions and truths, about authors and characters, and about how it can sometimes be hard to separate the two. La narrazione si svolge su due piani: Lowen che racconta in prima persona quello che le sta accadendo e il manoscritto di Verity che parte dal suo incontro con il marito Jeremy fino al suo incidente d’auto. Second, a part of the ending did not make sense. Again, I don’t want to spoil anything, but it has to do with a certain reaction to the manuscript. Personally, if I was the editor of this book, I would have rewritten the ending, but (sadly) Colleen Hoover has not been ringing my phone off the hook.Questo è il primo libro che leggo di quest’autrice e so che è molto apprezzata per i suoi romance, io invece, sono partita dal suo primo tentativo di romantic suspense. Sinceramente sono rimasta abbastanza delusa. Me, rollerblading into my therapist’s office with heart-shaped sunglasses and a piña colada and dropping this book on the desk with a loud thud: Boy do we have much to talk about today! The writing here is, admittedly, pretty amazing. Character development and plot movement, as well as the establishment of tone, is all done masterfully. What is ludicrous, however, is the plot itself. If you don't know the plot: Lowen, a struggling writer, is hired by Jeremy to finish his wife Verity's body of work after an accident leaves her unable to finish. Lowen finds an autobiography that reveals all sorts of juicy drama and murders, but decides to just have sex with Jeremy instead of do much about it until she can find a way to ensure Verity's story will get him to run away with her instead. Ill-advised, Lowen, ill-advised. Bonus points if you just pretend this is someone finishing Sue Grafton's alphabet series. Would have preferred that, honestly. Jeremy is equally captivating. He is handsome, charming, successful, and by all outward appearances, a family man who has sustained unimaginable losses who has been able to soldier on only because he has a young son to raise. To be fair, although Verity's prognosis is never affirmatively established, his desire to move on with his life is understandable -- Verity sustained a serious head injury which will, in all likelihood, preclude her from resuming a fully normal life. But was his meeting with Lowen on the street just before the meeting at her publisher's office really just coincidental? Did he intend for her to find the manuscript in Verity's office? Has he been fully aware of its contents all along? About that, Hoover says, "I’m not sure because I was never in Jeremy’s head." In other words, readers can draw their own conclusions, based on the evidence Hoover does present.

Lowen is a struggling writer who gets the opportunity of a lifetime to co-write a series with acclaimed author, Verity Crawford. When she arrives at Verity's home to do some research, she comes across a disturbing autobiography revealing the truth about all the tragic events in her life. Should Lowen let Verity's "dreamy" husband, Jeremy, know wassup? Or just sex him instead? Find out! Colleen Hoover takes a thrilling departure from her usual genre with "Verity," a dark and gripping novel that will leave you breathless. As an author known for her emotionally charged romances, Hoover proves her versatility and mastery of storytelling by delivering a suspenseful and haunting narrative that will keep you on the edge of your seat. I read this book in three days but I was trying to savor it and could have easily read it in less. I thought all the characters were likable and nothing felt forced. Most surprising was the level of creepiness Hoover managed to incite. A level even some seasoned suspense writers fail to attain. From someone who reads in the genre consistently and watches horror, it’s quite the feat for me to feel this level of anxiety. For my stomach to be twisted in knots, in anticipation of what’s to come—but, it happened. Colleen Hoover and Lisa of Troy finally meet. Alright that’s weird. I am never referring to myself in the third person again….Why read Verity when you can just pull out an Ouija board and summon a demon from hell? I'm sure it’ll have the same effect. I finished this book feeling completely sapped of life, as if I've been bleeding freely for the past few hours instead of simply reading. That ending. What the hell. If I could just shake my head to dissolve the memory of it, to disarrange it somehow, I would. Because of all the things I’d braced myself for, that was not it. I think this would be a great series. Same characters, different secrets and it could be like a V. C. Andrews, Dollanger family, multigenerational chaos. This isn’t actually a dislike but I know there are no plans for additional books so it belongs here.

Banks' health is judged by an interest rate called Libor (the London Interbank Offered Rate). The higher the Libor, the worse off the bank; too high and it's goodnight Vienna. Libor is heading skywards. To save themselves from collapse, nationalisation and loss of bonuses, banks instruct traders to manipulate Libor down - a criminal practice known as lowballing. Outraged, traders turn whistleblowers, alerting the authorities. The letter at the end was atrocious. A perfect example of when authors try to hand-hold the reader through the twist to make sure it lands. I didn't need a perfect play-by-play of what your pretending ass was up to in a letter. I gleaned it from you just saying "SIKE I WAS FAKING." Verity is mainly about three people - struggling author Lowen Ashleigh, a man called Jeremy Crawford, and Jeremy's wife, Verity, who was recently left incapacitated by a car accident. Verity is a successful writer, but she is no longer able to continue her bestselling series. That's why Lowen is brought in to complete the remaining three books. To do so, she stays at the couple's house so she can go through Verity's notes.

Maybe Series in Order

This book just tied with my favorite book for the year so far. When this writer writes another thriller, I will be snatching this one off the shelves right away. I strongly recommend this book to all thriller fans that love a disturbing and dark thriller. So many books advertise as suspenseful thrillers, but hardly any of them cause my heart to blip even a little. (I know, I'm a stone cold reader.) But this book! There is such a deliciously creepy atmosphere that permeates throughout and it got me good. I'll admit to heart palpitations, cold clammy hands, and being startled at the smallest noises. And as the story progresses and we find out more and more, the tension ratchets up to almost unbearable levels. Come è possibile che dagli esami clinici (TC, PET o RM) nessuno si sia accorto che Verity era sveglia? There are two things that kind of bothered me, but with me, storytelling is everything. And this book had it in spades.

Perché Lowen dopo aver perso la madre ne parla solo nei primi capitoli per poi scordarsene del tutto?

Slammed Trilogy in Order

The first half of the book dragged on quite a bit, it went quite slow for me and I found Jeremy's introduction quite odd. He didn't seem very likeable to me and I didn't really trust him at all. The way he was also open to Lowen's advances and even initiated it just made me not like him even more. This is partly why I believe the letter; if he had in fact read the manuscript before then I get why he'd be more open to cheating on his wife. But if he hadn't read the manuscript then why on Earth was he behaving that way???? Have some decorum, please. HOLY GUACAMOLY! Darauf war ich nicht vorbereitet! Verity ist mein zweites Buch welches ich von Colleen Hoover las und ich glaube ich habe ihre literarische Genialität jetzt erst richtig kennengelernt (Sorry "It ends with us" aber das hier ist doch eine ganz andere Nummer). Colleens Schreibstil ist herausragend. Ab der ersten Seite hat sie es geschafft mich an das Buch zu fesseln und eine unheilvolle Stimmung zu kreieren. Ihre Worte erschaffen eine düstere Atmosphäre. Ich konnte mir alles bildlich vorstellen, was nicht immer von Vorteil war... Anyways now I can say I wasn’t lying when I told people every day of my life in a bookstore or library for the past year that, sure, I’ll give Hoover a try. Mission accomplished.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment