276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Informant [Blu-ray]

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

However, Burns' depiction of the experiences of the Saudi-born Palestinian, whose birth name is Zayn al-Abidin Muhammad Husayn, is harrowing but superficial. Zubaydah is simultaneously portrayed as a one-dimensional villain and a nondescript punching bag for the CIA. This causes an empathy gap to develop between him and the viewer, who cannot possibly identify with the visceral trauma the camera is forcing them to watch. Differently agonising was Our Children (2012), a superb but harrowing drama about a couple (he's Moroccan, she's Belgian) undergoing extreme meltdown brought on partly by cultural difference. Rahim rolls his eyes. "Phew! It was tough. But I keep a distance from my characters. I'm not one of those actors who becomes another person to make a film, and I'm not sure they exist anyway. I work in the moment – when I'm there I believe in it, and when I go home, I'm me." Another project he starred in was Free Men, the biopic about Si Kaddour Benghabrit, founder of the Great Mosque of Paris, directed by Ismaël Ferroukhi of Le Grand Voyage fame. [9] Female Filmmakers Lead Nominees For London Critics' Circle Film Awards". Deadline. 12 January 2021 . Retrieved 20 January 2021. It’s never been a goal for me to portray real people. Films like The Mauritanian or The Serpent happened because I was pleased with at least one of three things. When I agree to a project, it depends on either the part, the script, or the director. When it’s a true story you have a responsibility…so it’s scary. But if you convey their emotion and humanity to the audience, it doesn’t matter if you’re exactly the way the subject is. What was hard in The Serpent was to understand Charles Sobhraj’s mindset, and to get into him. That was tough because I also didn’t want to meet him. Sobhraj is evil, and the fact he doesn’t have empathy…how do you create that? There’s a line in episode three that helped me get it right: “If I had to wait for the world to come to me, I’d be waiting still. Everything I ever had, I had to take it.” I connected to him at that moment. I related to that philosophy—because I had to go to Paris alone and carve my path with nobody’s help. You find one connection like this and then you have it. That’s acting.

Keslassy, Elsa (17 May 2023). "Playtime Boards Buzzy Biopic 'Monsieur Aznavour' Starring Tahar Rahim as Legendary Crooner (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety . Retrieved 4 June 2023. Slahi does not want to relive the worst moments of his captivity and so has avoided watching the most traumatic scenes in the film. But, now his book has been turned into a major feature film, he believes it is a clear example of the pen being mightier than the sword. "I don’t believe in violence but my whole story was violence against my body, my innocence, members of my family and I never did anything to the US," he says. "My movie is a victory for non-violence, it's a victory of the pen."

Legal

In addition to placing these men beyond the reach of US law, imprisoning them at Guantánamo placed them beyond the reach of the US imagination." Steven, Beth (17 February 2011). "2011 ICS Award Winners". International Cinephile Society . Retrieved 5 April 2023. After The Serpent, he will be alongside Jodie Foster and Benedict Cumberbatch in The Mauritanian, out in February. He plays Mohamedou Ould Slahi, who was held without charge in Guantánamo Bay for 14 years. Along with The Looming Tower, this suggests a bold philosophy emerging in his choices. What does he want his body of work to say about him? “If I can be part of a piece of cinema that teaches people something,” he says, “I’ll be happy.”

Guantánamo Bay was born of a desire for revenge for 9/11, says Foster. “It’s a painful part of our time; we were filled with fear and terror,” she says. “I think it hasn’t been processed and we also don’t have all the information. But I do think that it’s very relevant to what’s happening today. So, we can look at the ramifications of that philosophy: that idea of vengeance as opposed to justice, that idea that it’s really just the ends that matter and not the means. That philosophy gets you into a lot of trouble.” Tahar did his baccalauréat from Lycée Condorcet, Belfort (also known as General And Technological High School Condorcet De Belfort). In 2000, Tahar admitted himself to a sports college in Strasbourg, where he pursued his major in swimming. Soon, he found himself bored and quit the course after a year. The following year, he pursued a computer science course at a college in Marseille; he got bored again and dropped out in two months. Realizing his passion for acting, he began his film studies at the Paul Valéry University, Montpellier, France. [1] MensXP [2] Madame Le Figaro Physical Appearance As Rahim begins to open up about his family and his religion, he tells me that he believes little is left to chance. He had to work his way up from the very bottom after moving to Paris as a young man in 2006, trying for roles while working at factories and nightclubs to survive. For plenty of actors, there would be a sense of entitlement at how far he has come, but Tahar is humble. He owes much of his success to his family and his faith, he says. “It’s hard to explain. I have a strong connection to God,” he adds, his warm smile making way for a more thoughtful expression, “This connection feeds me and I believe that it reminds me who I am.” Then, as if on cue, a nearby minaret recites the call to prayer, and Rahim pauses for a second, smiles again, and adds, as if finally proving his point: “You see? Some things just can’t be explained.” It's only five years since A Prophet transformed Rahim's life – for one thing, he is now married to Leïla Bekhti, another rising French star, who acted with him in that film. But his marriage is another subject he declines to discuss. "Don't take it personally!" he says in English, grinning and putting his hand on my wrist to signify no hard feelings.He appeared in a variety of French-Belgian co-produced films such as Our Children (2012), Le Père Noël (2014), Daguerrotype (also Japanese; 2016), and Heal the Living (2016). Apart from these, he appeared in several internationally co-produced films like The Past (2013), The Cut (2014), Mary Magdalene (2018), and The Kindness of Strangers (2019). In 2021, he appeared in the American-British legal film ‘The Mauritanian’ as ‘Mohamedou Ould Slahi,’ a US government captive who is languished in the Guantanamo Bay detention camp without charge or trial for fourteen years. He was appreciated for his portrayal of a real-life character. In an interview, talking about his preparation for the role, he said, In 2018, he appeared as Judas in the film Mary Magdalene, written by Helen Edmundson. [12] In the U.S., he had a starring role as FBI agent Ali Soufan in The Looming Tower. American Filmmaker(s): Jerry Schatzberg, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Brian De Palma, Paul Thomas Anderson, James Gray, Courtney Hunt, Gaspard Noé, Ken Loach, Wim Wenders, Nicholas Winding Refn, William Friedkin When his family lived in Algeria, his father was a teacher, and upon their migration to France, his father became a worker. Tahar is one of the ten children of his parents; one of his brothers’ name is Ahmed Rahim. Wife & Children

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment