276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Bord Na Mona 25kg Irish Peat Briquettes - 2 x 12.5kg Bales

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Not sure about Cornwall ( a bit outside the ken of our local TV ) but Dorset, Devon and South Somerset got a bit of a battering. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Just don't have a clue where to find some in Dublin (we won't have a car and found an hostel close to Temple Bar). To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Anyway, back to peat and plants, one problem I may have is in re-hydrating them, they are surprisingly heavy and the one that I put in some rainwater is still obstinately briquette shaped in the bottom of the bucket !

I put one on last night at 00:00 (on the remenants of a log ) and it was still warm at 10am this morning , keeping the morning chill out of the kitchen. With their long, slow burn and lovely aroma, they’ll give you all the warmth you need in your hearth—no matter what type of fireplace or stove you have. The briquettes are highly compressed and rock hard not soft, even if you soak them they dont go back to being like normal peat. The briquettes are simply a mixture of milled and then dried bog peat taken from a low level in the ground. Briquettes produce a lot of fine, white ash which tends to act like an insulating blanket on the embers and can easily still be hot the next afternoon.Peat has traditionally been used to heat rural properties where it keeps providing heat long into the night. I had a very expensive disaster with peat ashes in a holiday rental on Achill during winter a number of years ago! It has a nicer smell when burning and doesn't have that slightly chemical odour you get from briquettes when you handle them. Even if you could get them broken up, the suitability of briquettes would partially depend on what depth they were taken from the bog. We have a heavily extracted (dead) bog nearby and I have seen people digging out sods of peat for burning.

I asked one of the Italians to find a receptacle for them and all he could locate was a large pyrex glass oven dish so I put the ashes into that and asked him to place it outside the kitchen door. Perfect for stoves and especially open fires, where the lovely, traditional smell can be fully enjoyed. Most purchases from business sellers are protected by the Consumer Contract Regulations 2013 which give you the right to cancel the purchase within 14 days after the day you receive the item. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Today we have a howling gale, lashings of rain and I type this by the side of a good (coal not logs, too wet to get the chain saw out) open fire.

Unfortunately due to the smoke that is given off this type of fuel they are not allowed in all areas so it is advised to check if you live in a smoke controlled are before you make a purchase.

Indead, I'll be travelling to Dublin in September and would like to bring some with me (I'm an addict of this smell). Hubby and I fell in love with the smell of the peat fire during our trip to Ireland and want to have that at home in the winter (though it doesn't get too cold here in Alabama! It takes centuries for a peat bog to regenerate not to mention the carbon dioxide dispatched on its not so merrily way. The briquettes naturally hold around ten percent moisture and will give you a nice hot but slow burn providing a calorific value of around 4. Unlike wood that generally burns with a long orange flame our Irish peat briquettes burn with a short flame.Made from 100% natural products, they are just as suitable for open fires as for stoves, Chimineas, Burners, Outdoor Fire Pits and BBQ's etc and are easy to light. The Bord na Mona briquettes need to be kept under shelter as they will disintegrate if left exposed. We have not used them for a while but I used let them cool completely for a couple of days then bag them and bin them.

All of of our kiln dried logs are ready to burn meaning they meet the latest guidelines for burning wood in smoke control areas.

Made from 100% natural products, they are just as suitable for open fires as for stoves, and are easy to light. I didnt at that time know it was due to heavy decomposition, just thought it was wrong bog with wrong plants ! Hi, don't know where in the south west you reside but Irish sphagnum moss peat is available in Exeter, postage wouldn't be an option as it's a job to lift 100 litres.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment