276°
Posted 20 hours ago

QNAP TS-453D-4G 8TB 4 Bay Desktop NAS Solution | Installed with 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red Drives

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The TS-453E NAS arrives in a very familiar chassis design that is a slightly modified version of the standard Value/Cost effective plastic case that we have been for many years now. I say modified because this new revision has improvements in the passive ventilation (perhaps due to those NVMe M.2 slots inside). There is no LCD slot and the casing itself is very compact at 177 × 180 × 235mm. This is a very small physical footprint in your home/office. The QNAP TS-453E NAS also benefits from featuring two HDMI ports. Now there is good news and bad news on these. First, the good news. These ports support both native 4K and 1080p visual output, the NAS has a parallel HDMI GUI that can be controlled with an IR remote and/WiFi remote/KVM with USB keyboard and mouse and there are lots of applications available for home and business. The bad news is that they are HDMI 1.4b (so only 1080P is 60FPS and 4K is 30FPS), that the 2nd port can only mirror or extend screen the 1st port and that the QNAP HDMI application (HD Station) has not been anywhere near as regularly updated as the rest of the apps and services from QNAP. For NAS with console port only (like TS-677,TS-877,TS-1277,TS-1685,TES-1885U,TES-3085U,...etc.), select Clonezilla Live (Serial console) option. Since I only had 4GB of RAM in the review unit, virtualization was difficult. By default, the Windows 10 image wanted to use 4GB of RAM itself, but after accounting for the QNAP OS, I only had three to spare. I was able to modify the requirements, but that negatively impacts performance: It took over two minutes to boot up the Windows 10 VM. It also means that, unless you're running small instances, you won't be able to do much with the virtualization unless you upgrade to 8GB of RAM. Miscellaneous Observations

After the firmware recovery is done, you will hear a long beep and then NAS will be shut down automatically. ( Note: If you hear two long beeps or the NAS is not shutdown after 5 minutes, the firmware recovery might fail. Please redo the process again.) When the firmware version is on 1.x.x, it is factory test firmware. No HDD can be detected with this firmware. Need to update the firmware to official firmware first.Estimated delivery times are provided to us by the respective delivery companies. We pass this information onto you, the customer. For storage the TS-453D has 4 3.5″ SATA bays. The NAS has an SSD caching capability, but to leverage it without giving up drive bays, users would need to utilize a PCIe adapter card for M.2 drives in the single PCIe slot. However, adding in SSDs can add several benefits such as flash volumes, SSD cache acceleration, and Qtier auto-tiering for overall better performance. If the four bays aren’t enough, one can add more storage through a USB 3.2 Gen 2 port to provide fast JBOD expansions. If you're already a TS-453D owner and you're looking to upgrade because it's feeling a little long in the tooth, buying the TS-464 is a no-brainer. The same can be said if you already enjoy and understand the QNAP ecosystem.

For 4K average latency, CIFS saw 874ms read and 382ms write while iSCSI hit 100ms read and 576ms write.Connect the NAS to the PC directly by an Ethernet cable. If your NAS includes two LAN ports, please connect LAN 2 of the NAS to the PC. If it doesn't work try it again with LAN 1 The one (very minor) complaint I have about QTS is that applications are installed in the middle of the desktop. This means when you're using various tools, the icons are covered up and it's harder to access them, whereas DSM puts the icons on the left side of the screen, out of the way. It's a minor observation, but one that I've often thought should be user configurable. This firmware recovery guide is intended for users who encounter system startup failure due to incomplete or unsuccessful firmware update caused by power outage or network disconnection during the process.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment