276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lily: A Tale of Revenge from the Sunday Times bestselling author

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Taken to the London Foundling hospital, she experiences abuse and cruelty, leading her to commit an avenging crime years later. When Sam meets Lily again, there is an instant attraction between them and Lily is convinced that Sam holds the key to her happiness - but might he also be the one to uncover her crime and so condemn her to death? In a series of intriguingly entitled essays, Beaumont investigates the literature and experience of city walking. In this novel Rose Tremain throws a deeply unflattering light on the Victorian interpretation of Christi

I have to admit to skimming a few parts of the book, really just because I wanted to see where this was all going. Mindezekből kiindulva sokkal inkább egy történelmi romantikus zsánerhez közel álló szépirodalmi műre számítottam, mint erre a történetre. However, the cruel treatment experienced by the children taken in by the London Foundling Hospital is of a more extreme, and perverted, nature than anything found within the pages of Oliver Twist. She is a historical novelist who approaches her subjects "from unexpected angles, concentrating her attention on unglamorous outsiders.Rose Tremain never lets her readers down as the quality of the writing is so vivid that images spring off pages in full technicolour so we hear the sounds, see the sights, wince and gasp at some of the horrifying experiences at Coram. Later as an adult she builds a life of sorts as a seamstress but she has also committed an as yet undiscovered crime and cannot escape the conviction she is soon to hang.

And for the person who shows Lily love, we don't know much about Belle; her character isn't developed sufficiently. There is a sort of redemption, albeit tinged with the fact that certain actions cannot be forgotten, or their effects shrugged off, however apparently justifiable. At less than 200 pages, this is still a novel entirely full of life, it is a very fine character study, and to me felt like the kind of novel nobody was writing any more. However, whatever reservations I may have had about the book’s structure, there’s no doubt about the author’s ability to create beautiful prose. Erős képi világa élénken, mégis szinte tárgyilagosan vetíti ki a szemhéjunk vásznára a különös, olykor tündérmesébe, olykor horrorba hajló jelenetek sorát.

The portrayal of Marianne effortlessly captures the absurdity of teenage infatuation ‘The narcissism of a person in love knows no bounds ‘.

The book is descriptively written and the characters felt true to the era and the storyline is captivating on so many levels. This is a really satisfying read, I felt like I truly got to know the main character and my heart hoped, cared and broke for her. Her big secret isn’t really a secret at all, as it’s fairly clear who she’s murdered and why long before we’re told. Választ ugyan kevés dologra ad, sok az elvarratlan szál, sok a kérdőjel, de valahogy ez a ringatás-borzongás mégis megkapó.

When the handsome prince leaves for adventures in Paris, the abandoned princess grows ever more disconsolate.

Throughout the book Lily is convinced that the crime she has committed will one day be discovered and that she will be condemned to death as a result.Olvasás közben akarva-akaratlanul is eszembe jutott Stacey Halls Lelence, és hogy mennyivel szerencsésebbek voltak annak a könyvnek a szereplői. Annyira morbid ez nekem, hogy sosem tekintem alapból lehetőségnek, pedig tudjuk, hogy létezett/létezik. Another engrossing and memorable novel by Rose Tremain, Lily is the story of an abandoned Coram Foundling Hospital baby who is fostered by a loving farming family in Suffolk until she is six years old. Underlying Lily’s story, however, but never spelled out, is Tremain’s own anger that historical ills, especially the mistreatment of children in institutions, still exist. It’s not difficult to pull on the heartstrings when describing child abuse, so yes, it was moving at times, but parts of it seemed lazy and/or nonsensical.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment