276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Luxe

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Luxe Bali has a state-of-the-art home theatre room with a high end three-metre projector screen, KEF surround sound speakers and seating by cosy leather recliners to enjoy a comfortable and exciting cinema-like experience. Gym

And, oh my god yeek I loved this book! I don't know how to explain it but I did! I fell in love with a historical romance third person book! Who would have thunk it? I can't even begin to describe how much I loved this book. Meanwhile, it is revealed that Henry is being forced into the engagement by his overly ambitious and protective father. He has to hide his love for Diana from his father, playing along with the wedding plans. Henry and Diana enjoy a rich and intimate life with each other that seems untainted by their chaotic and competitive external world. Lina, Elizabeth’s maid, is envious of Elizabeth’s privilege and tries to sell the Holland family’s secret for both social and financial gain. Along the way, she unexpectedly falls in love with Tristan Wrigley, a shop boy, who exposes her to and teaches her to value new elements of New York City’s rich lower class life.This intrigue was what initially gripped me. Who killed her? But I soon found out the story was less focused on the mystery and more on the drama and who will kiss who. Romantik, Eifersucht, Verrat, Humor und ein opulentes Setting. Ich konnte Die 'Prinzessinnen von New York' nicht zur Seite legen!" CECILY VON ZIEGESAR, Autorin der "Gossip-Girl"-Reihe Anyway, I completely expected to be utterly bored by this book, but instead I was vastly entertained and gripped by the unfolding mystery and tension, and even though the prologue tells you the ending, it doesn't tell you anything, and you're never sure what's going to happen next or how it all worked out. I did suspect from the very beginning the truth about Elizabeth, though. The descriptions of this novel/series that I came across said it was like Gossip Girls and that it was about New York High Society girls at the turn of the century - well it all put me off. Until a friend recommended it, and I'm glad she did, for as ridiculous as the dress is, the book is really very good. It's September 1899 and the Manhattan season is starting off with a bang. Elizabeth Holland, the darling of the high society set, has returned from her year in Paris in time for the first ball of the season, held at her best friend Penelope Hayes' newly finished and incredibly vulgar mansion. Penelope is all about showing herself to the best advantage, and has her sights set on young rake Henry Schoonmaker - but his father has other ideas. Intending to run for mayor the following year, he wants his only son to shape up and marry a good girl from a good family: Elizabeth.

Anna Godbersen’s young adult historical novel The Luxe (2007) is the first book in a tetralogy. Set in 1899 New York, it follows two sisters, Elizabeth and Diana Holland, who hail from the elite class of Manhattan. When the sisters’ father dies and his rich legacy suddenly holds no weight, they scramble to stabilize their lives before they fall from high society and are forced to undergo a drastic shift in consciousness. The novel is structured episodically, rotating perspectives between three minor characters, as well as the two sisters who are its central protagonists. This complex, shifting, and non-linear plot serves to produce an anachronistic characterization of the destructive social dynamism of American capitalism’s upper echelons. At that time, I haven't read enough historical fiction to know what was the good quality ones and the bad quality ones. I was only interested on what this book was going to contain. Okay, I'll admit that despite being rather anti-girly, I've always had a thing for dresses and period costumes, and the big poofy thing on the cover certainly fascinated me. But it also repelled me: it's just so HUGE and PINK and PUFFY!

Floor 4

The plot. Imagine Gossip Girl set in the 1900's, that's basically the book. B-O-R-I-N-G! Maybe it's just me. But I didn't like Gossip Girl and I really couldn't bring myself to even finish this one. And I normally like historical romances. Lina was the household maid, but dreamed of bigger things. She felt very selfish and juvenile to me, and never thought of the consequences of her actions.

The Luxe is a 2007 young adult novel by author Anna Godbersen. It follows the lives of two upper class sisters in Manhattan during 1899. There are four books in the Luxe series including Luxe, Rumors, Envy, and Splendor. [1] Plot [ edit ]Claire Broud is Lina's older sister. Claire is a proper maid who relishes the gossip of the upper class and is truly fond of Diana, her mistress. Despite her love of gossip, she is very loyal to the Hollands. Claire is described as having red hair and a pale face. I don't watch Gossip Girls, so I can't speak to any similarities there - what I was reminded of, though, was Edith Wharton's The Buccaneers. Admittedly, I have read very few books set in 19th century Manhattan, so Wharton's book was the only one I could think of, mostly because it's about four girls from "new money" making their way in the world amongst the British upper class. I highly recommend it, or the TV mini-series based on it. William Keller is Elizabeth's secret lover who works for the Holland family as their coachman and valet. He loves her and wants her to come away with him to California. Elizabeth isn't sure about leaving her life and running away. He is also very handsome with dark hair, blue eyes, and a crooked nose. There is a number of public transportation close to The Luxe that residents can make use of. The closest MRT stations are Dhoby Ghaut MRT, Bencoolen MRT, Rochor MRT and Fort Canning MRT. The closest bus stops are located at Dhoby Ghaut Station, School of the Arts, Peace Centre, Sunshine Plaza and Concorde Hotel Singapore. For those with vehicles, the shopping district located at Orchard Road can be easily accessed via Penang Road, Fort Canning Road and Exeter Road in 5 to 10 minutes. In a world of luxury and deception, where appearance matters above everything and breaking the social code means running the risk of being ostracized forever, five teenagers lead dangerously scandalous lives. This thrilling trip to the age of innocence is anything but innocent.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment